The exhaust system is a complex piping system used to collect and guide reaction exhaust gasses away from the vehicle, reduce pollutants released into the atmosphere, and minimize engine exhaust noise and force. A properly functioning exhaust system keeps your family and the environment safe. The catalytic converter reduces air pollution, and the muffler/silencer reduces noise, delivering a smooth and silent drive. Proper exhaust system repair is key to having a healthy vehicle, along with other auto repairs.
The Main Parts of a Typical Exhaust System
• Exhaust manifold – attached to the engine, this component collects the exhaust gasses from the engine and delivers them to the exhaust pipe
• Exhaust pipe - carries the exhaust from the engine to the tailpipe
• Oxygen sensor – measures the oxygen level in the exhaust and sends a signal to the vehicle’s computer for it to establish if it needs to send more/less fuel to the combustion chambers
• Catalytic converter – converts harmful gasses into carbon dioxide and water vapor
• Muffler – silences the loud noises produced during combustion
Signs Your Exhaust System Needs Repair
Because the exhaust system is mounted to the bottom of your vehicle, it is subject to abuse from road hazards, salt, and water. Here are some signs that your vehicle needs an exhaust system repair:
1. Increased Engine Noise
This is most likely the first thing you notice if your exhaust is in trouble. A properly functioning exhaust system keeps the engine noise down. So, if you hear loud rumblings, you probably need to visit an auto repair facility. Exhaust leaks may be in the system’s manifold or any of the joints along the exhaust system. Leaks from the manifold are very serious and could pose a potential danger to the passengers in the cabin.
If you notice an odd vibration or loss of power when operating your vehicle, be wise and have the exhaust system checked. You may feel the vibration when you touch the car's seat, steering wheel or gas pedal.
3. Decreased Fuel Efficiency
If your mile per gallon (mpg) is low, you should be worried about several things. Most commonly this indicates an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak makes your car work harder, and the harder it works, the more fuel it needs.
Our Exhaust System Repair Services Include:
• Muffler replacement
• Exhaust gaskets
• Catalytic converters
• Clamps and hungers
• Exhaust system inspection and replacement
Why Oldsmar Automotive?
If you think your vehicle’s exhaust system needs repair or replacement, contact us. We have a team of dedicated professionals that have over 50 years of experience in automotive repair and customer service. They will inspect and repair your exhaust system and have it working efficiently again. We are located in Oldsmar, Florida - between Palm Harbor and Westchase.
Visit us or call us today if you may be in need of exhaust system repair services. (727) 784-3501.
• Fully licensed, insured and state certified
• We Employ ASE Certified Master Technicians
• Member of AAA as well as Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association
• Environmentally sensitive