There was a time that all you needed to decide was what viscosity oil you wanted for your car for an oil change. Now you need to decide not only that but also whether you want synthetic or conventional motor oil. Although synthetic motor oil has a hefty price tag, it has some benefits that you may want to consider in your decision making. Of course, the first thing to consult is your owner’s manual to determine if one or the other is recommended for your vehicle’s regular oil change. From there here’s what you should know.
Choosing synthetic oil isn’t going to save the planet as it comes from crude oil just as conventional does. Both can lubricate your engine well at high temperatures. You’ll find that any quality brand of motor oil, synthetic or conventional, has additives to help prevent breakdown of the oil and improve performance over long-term use of the car.
There are many more differences than similarities.
- Synthetic oil is more stable. In Florida we tend to have higher temperatures for longer periods of time than other parts of the country. Because of this, you may want to consider synthetic motor oil, It better maintains its viscosity to protect your engine in extreme temperatures.
- Synthetic provide betters protection for your engine. Although they’re more expensive, you likely won’t need an oil change as often. It also will help you engine last longer because it doesn’t break down.
- Conventional oil leaves more deposits in your engine. You may have heard the term “sludge”. It refers to the deposits left by conventional motor oil as it breaks down. Because synthetic motor oil is better refined, it breaks down less leading to fewer deposits in your engine.
You’ll find that the only benefit for conventional motor oil over synthetic is the price. When you choose synthetic motor oil for your oil change you’ll get the benefits of:
- Less burn off in hot temperatures
- Better horsepower
- Reduced engine deposits
- Protection for your engine
You may even find you get better gas mileage. If it’s time for an oil change for your car, consider Oldsmar Automotive. We can answer your questions about synthetic and conventional motor oil and help you choose the best option for your car and budget. Stop by 3166 Tampa Road in Oldsmar or call 727-784-3501 for an appointment.